There once was a turkey named Spike. When he moved into the neighborhood he was a cute little fluffy chick admired by the children next door. Then he grew into a stinker of great stature.
Spike was lonely. His family went to California months ago (supposedly returning in Feb. or March) and left him in the care of the delightful, charming, and entertaining family next door. One would think that this fact would make a turkey happy, but not Spike! He was a fickle bird, only content temporarily at home- and then he was off in search of a new adventure. There were lawns to inspect, cars to ascend, and high school boys to chase merrily down the road. (The last hobby made comical by the thirteen year old girl saving the cowardly boys- who ran away backpacks in tow, while holding up their ridiculously baggy jeans .)
No matter how many times the neighbor clipped his wings and repeatedly herded him back into his fenced yard Spike could and would not cease his explorations. Within a short amount of time he had become a neighborhood project, and then he introduced himself to the people on the other side of the neighborhood. Spike thought he had a good thing going....not unlike his own personal Manifest Destiny. Until the cops discovered his operation. Apparently he had worked his way to the major road that ran from one end of town to the other. People, except male high school bus walkers, thought he was amusing as he patrolled up and down the avenue. Some took pictures while most just rubber-necked as they cruised by. Spike was causing poor traffic behavior and this caused the good police officers anxiety....and they felt sorry for the cowardly bus boys. So Spike got in trouble.
After much "official" recommendation, debate,and deliberation it was determined that Spike would be sentenced to the care of a "bird specialist" in a more rural setting. The neighbors hope they are set up to accommodate social turkeys.

.jpg)
5 comments:
I love your writing. You told the tale quite well.
Love ya!
They're not going to eat him?? There is such a thing as freezers...
Poor Spike. I hope he enjoys his new accomodations. Did you know that we have wild turkies everywhere around here? And usually it's a mama with her babies - are they still called chicks when they're turkies. I know I live with turkies - but they're simply incredibly curious, sometimes mischievious humans :)Alright so the plural spelling is - turkeys or turkies ....?
Fuddy duddy that I am, I probably would have called someone long ago to rid the neighborhood of a turkey on the loose that liked to walk on my car. I know, Aunt Wanda again. Great blog update though.
Now I can sleep at night knowing that Spike is in a farm somewhere... Thanks for keeping me entertained! Happy Thanksgiving to all
Post a Comment