I think it was divine inspiration or intervention when one of my friends wrote a post yesterday about parents "behaving well....and not reacting"....something like that. When I read it I thought, " Oh, that's nice. What a great reminder to start my day." Well, it seems the powers that be thought it would be fun to test my reactors out.
IT all began that morning upon arriving home from running errands. I skipped merrily out of my car and moved to get my purchases from the back. At that point my eldest, and exceedingly helpful, child flung herself out of the gate and eagerly offered help hauling. She then began a discussion that went like this:
"Mom, you know how # 2 has that serious eyebrow problem? Well, he finally said I could pluck his eyebrows."
Me- "Oh, he did?"
#1- "Um, yeah...and so I started and (Noise from the back door of the house that signaled someone else was coming outside. Serious alarm spreads across #1's face.)
Me, calmly-"...and what did you do?"
At this point #2 comes through the gate with his shirt made into a turban covering his forehead.
#1- "Well, it didn't go very well. We had a problem. I used too much shaving cream."
Me- "#1 plucking doesn't involve shaving cream."
A certain degree of alarm crawled into my brain. I looked at # 2 and he glumly pulled off his head wrap. And there- it wasn't- half of his left eyebrow, which is no small thing.
Me- "Oh, my!" very calm. "#2 why don't you go wait for me in the bathroom and I will see if there is something I can do to help."
I turned my attention back to schlepping the groceries into the house. I ran some of them down to the storage room and then I remembered I need to move the laundry over. At this point there was a loud noise upstairs, like a large book being dropped on the wood floor. I went up to investigate. The kids were running around higgledy-piggledy exclaiming about sparks and lights that didn't work.
Me-" What happened"
All of the kids at once-"sparks, lights, sparks, lights..." in the middle of all the tumult #1 was reciting a litany of information as fast as she can.
Me- "STOP! What happened?- just the facts."
There is an electrical odor wafting down the hall from the bathroom.
#1- "# 2 turned off the lights in the bathroom and then there were sparks on the floor."
While she was relating these facts the other kids drifted away testing all of the lights in the house to survey the extent of the damage. Their actions caught her attention and she was gone. My brain was racing. We had just remodeled and rewired that bathroom last year. Had the electrician messed something seriously up? Was my house in eminent danger?
(Good thing am not an over-reactor.)
#2 came down the hall.
#2- "Mom, I have to tell you the truth..."
Right then- I looked down and noticed my sacred tweezers laying on the counter. One of the tips was missing and the remainder was charred black in places. It all clicked into place!
Me-"Oh, #2 you didn't stick those in the outlet?!!!!! Honey, you could have been killed" He sadly looked at me with his half an eyebrow and I about throttled him. He is the scientific one in our family and is way passed old enough to know better. If he had done that in another outlet...one that didn't have a protector, we would not have been having a discussion.
Breathe, breathe, breathe.
I carefully explained we don't use the word stupid in our home ...unless someone sticks tweezers in an electrical outlet. It was a very stupid choice...especially for someone with his intelligence and his consequence required some long and serious thought. I am still pondering on that one, but I think it will involve a research paper.
****************************************************
I would like to have a picture to go with this post, but one of my blessings felt the call of a creative muse and traipsed out to the back lawn with my camera...and left it in the grass. It wasn't his fault his brother decided to stage a WW III water battle in the same area.
p.s. Does anyone have any advice on where I can aquire some really good tweezers?
Thursday, July 24, 2008
We Interrupt This Adventure Report!
Posted by fivekidsandsomechocolate at 6:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
7 comments:
Oh God Bless you my poor child :) What a day...On a positive note... back in the day I remember one certain child taking a razor to her own eyebrow... unfortunately that child was me... but they did grow back nicely.
Indeed, what a day. The tweezers in the outlet sounds pretty scary, hair grows back and a camera can be fixed or purchased again, but electricity...brrr, I shiver only at the thought. For sure there are guardian angels protecting your children.
I guess I am looking forward to a bunch of fun with my two little boys trying to give me heart attacks as they dodge disasters as they grow up :)
Hugs,
Stephanie
Oh my.....I can just picture it! Poor #2! But I have to admit this post gave me a good laugh :) Also, no, I'm not usually a batman sort of gal, however I am very much a Christian Bale, Heath Ledger sorty of gal :) Good tweezers, any beauty supply carries good tweezers, they're a little spendy though!
p.s. Very sorry to hear about the near electricution. Nicholas did a similar thing a while back while he was lurking behind the Christmas tree :)
This was hilarious. I had to stop him the other day, just to check out his brows. I remember plucking mine until they were pencil thin in the seventh grade. Mine were worse than his, but I didn't know it at the time!
so glad I got to hear about this first-hand! your post does not do your dramatic flair justice!
OH my heck, i would have had a cow. (smile) I'm not sure I would have been too angry about they eye brow, but the electricity - YIKES.
We tell our kids for years "don't touch, ouch! and they seem to know it's bad, but curiosity always get's the better of them and at one point or another they always have to try it for themselves.
Too scary for a parent!
(smile)
glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been!
Post a Comment