Thursday, July 17, 2008

Summer Adventures- Part 1

Dust has taken over our home...not that we didn't have any before, but it is in places I never witnessed- the computer keyboard, bathroom mirror, remote control, the cookie jar. We have been having a tremendous summer, and I am not lamenting the house cleaning duties. I am just not that kind of girl.

-ANYWAY-

The 20 class reunion: As fun as seeing all of those people I didn't recognize- and am sure were hired as fill-ins- was, it was the people pictured below I was beyond ecstatic to see, hang out with, and drink-in. These ladies are my life long, well, at least since 7th grade, best girls. They are the friends who knew me before braces and still thought I was ok to be seen with in public.

Oh- the stories that could be told! Which is probably why I never told them about this blog...

A few days after the reunion we packed everything you can imagine into our Suburban and headed to a family reunion. This annual wingding has been going on since I can remember and usually takes place over the fourth of July. The area we headed for was absolutely gorgeous.

The kids were beside themselves. Joyfully loud in anticipation of "wilderness" adventures. You know- pirates and treasure and that sort of thing.They have rather impressive imaginations. I don't know where they get it.?
(Nephew little C, #4, and niece Muck- her mother calls her that- long story.)
Doesn't this look like the best place ever to play pirate? or ninja? whatever? These rock slides were mixed in with the rest of the alpine decor in our camp. In fact, our tent was right next to this one. I wasn't worried about it, too much...until laying in my tent in the middle of the night. I am not a deeply neurotic person. Spiders, snakes, frogs, rodents- don't really phase me, unless they jump out and land on me when I am totally not expecting it. My personal paranoia issues concern carnivores. I am not terribly fond of anything that can eat me or my children. The list would include bears, mountain lions, and sharks. Happily, sharks are only an issue in oceans...and any other deep bodies of water in nature of which I can't see the bottom. Well, at night those rocks like to tumble down the mountain at sporadic intervals. It was probably just little critters running about testing the laws of gravity, but it was easy to visualize an overly large cat slinking down the mountain to check out the morsels in our flimsy tent. I spent a few restless nights wide eyed with a nervous stomach. Needless to say, there weren't any cougars or bears to be seen ...and I believe in the power of prayer.
I am so glad I don't have the creative imagination my kids display in abundance or I think I would have had a stroke.



7 comments:

V Family said...

I love your nature photos, they are quite lovely! The rocks were a big hit, so happily not literally!
I enjoyed your paragraph profusely!

General Patton said...

It was a beautiful area - thanks for finding it! Your writing is so descriptive and funny - I can picture you in your tent - eyes shifting here and there. Oh yes and by the way, after all of these years, there are still no sharks in lucky peak. So quit making me ride on the back of the inner tube. :)

EarlGirl said...

Wow, what a pretty place! That waterfall looks so cool. I love the black and white skirt you were wearing with the red sweater, very chic!

Cammy Patton said...

Oh yes by the way - I posted as Jed -

Anonymous said...

You look great, and that is such a cute dress!!

What a beautiful place to visit!!

I understand the nervousness about camping, I can be the same, but for some reason spiders scare me more than bears. :)

Is your brother-in-law an artist?
It would be cool to have a professional portrait, but I need to grow my hair long again first.

Gabriel's first birthday is this Saturday!! Don't miss it, it will be fun.

Love,
Stephanie

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

Yes, he is an artist. He painted a life size Captain Helaman on my nephew's bedroom wall that is amazing. I keep telling him I want one of the stripling warriors on my boys wall, but...
He has done lots of wonderful drawings, even from pictures. It takes him awhile, though.

Jodi said...

Sounds like you have had a great and busy summer. I have missed your posts!

Aren't reunions fun??? Hmm....
I am like you and only care about seeing a handful of people. It is always fun though to see how much people have changed.

I would have been awake all night worrying about the grizzlies!