There are times in my life when I feel like I am watching an interesting movie about someone else, because I do not feel, and therefore am not, old-ish, mom-ish, or hopefully....stale?. When I was younger I never considered my mom was a regular person who felt like anything other than- a mom. She was born a mom.... wasn't she? Maybe, that is why I have been surprised as I have "gained in experience" that I feel the same as I did when I was a kid, except for:
1-An affinity for handy cleaning supplies. I never dreamed I would own one of those super huge dust-mopping sweeper things (like they use at the church) just to sweep my kitchen AND be thankful for it.
2- Paper plates....one of the best inventions ever. I will never be a respectable earth-first green person due to the fact I am not willing to give up a mother's best friend- the paper plate. It's a compromise actually, due to limited time and sanity- something had to go- cooking or dishes. Since we all love to eat the obvious choice was dishes- no one loves those. If you do... there is something seriously wrong and you need to seek out a competent therapist!
3-Appreciation for the soul cleansing power of sweat and a loaded mp3 player. I have never liked to sweat with or without music. I think it's in my blue-blood genetics somewhere. One of the great shocks of my life occurred when I discovered the direct correlation between coping skills and physical exertion. Next to the scriptures (#1), the thing that mellows me is exercise. Oddly enough, house work doesn't seem to cut it.....hmm, go figure.4- Nudity at church is just not ok- This is a newly acquired insight into my adult mind....which according to some might catapult me into the realm of the stale, but.....
The moment came this past Sunday during the sacrament song when #5, darling imp that she is, proclaimed, "I did it!''. (She does that when she accomplishes tasks like removing her shoes or escaping from her bed instead of going to sleep.) So, glancing down in response to her declaration I observed not only had she removed her shoes, but she was now just sporting her tights....that's it. Since I am not an uptight mother I just bent over, grabbed the clothes, and proceeded to redress her. She, however, did not think this was a good move on my part and the weeping and wailing began. Apparently I was raining on her happy moment of accomplishment. After a brief struggle #5 saw the wisdom in wearing clothing in the chapel...if not shoes. Whew!
.jpg)
12 comments:
Gosh, what a party pooper you are! No nudity at church, come on! You really don't look mom-ish to me. In fact, as I've expressed before, I am a little bit worried that when I get to the point in your life that you are - I am sure your skin will still be more vibrant and less wrinkly (should there be an E after the L?) than mine. Thanks a lot for being a Babe, I am ruined.
amen sista! your "nudity in church" story is hilarious!!! by the way, you really ought to write...you are so entertaining!
Ha! Naked at church, that's a good one. You were sitting right behind us, but I missed the tantrum. It must have been a reverent one. I remember once when I was a kid, we were all rushing around to get ready for church. We made it just in time, and my dad picked up my little sister in the chapel and she was buck naked under her dress. No undies, no tights, no nothin'.
What's wrong with nudity at church? Isn't that the way we were sent down here? I figure if we were supposed to wear clothes, we would have been born with them!
(I just wear them because I get cold otherwise).
Love this post and love you!!! Thanks for having us over the other night. Are you guys doing the get together thing this Thursday?
HEY CUZ!!! Thanks for the FUN night on Sat!! You rock! Loved the story..thats too funny!! And I agree with the paper plates although I forget to buy them..I am going today to buy some because my life is becoming unmanagable now that school has started! Do you think they have disposable clothes at a decent price because THATS a concept I could totally embrace!
I am with you on the paper plates too! Great invention! And I can totally relate to the correlation of exercise and coping skills! It's amazing the difference it makes!
Nudity in church??? Hmm.... why not? Instead of a nudist colony we could start a nudist ward! You gotta admit it would spice up those high council talks!!!! lol
Ok what a great blog entry. I also enjoyed all the comments. My favorite is the disposable clothes. I abhore laundry. I would invest in that company immediatly straight way! But, I couldn't do the naked church thing. If I don't care to look at my own self nude, I sure don't want to see, my neighbors and friends - Eeeek!
You seriously need to write a book! Thanks for being such a great storyteller.
Somehow I missed the nudist in Sacrament meeting! Darn :) By the way, nice moves Joe! I didn't know you could cut up the rug (or the tile as the case may be) so well!
Alright - I accept your deal and I have already posted -but you've been tagged my friend.
I ♥ your blog! Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment