Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What Do You Do?

There are moments when my brain comes up with a post so amazing and profound I am overcome with glee and can hardly stand myself. And then, there are the follow up moments when I do something so brainless (i.e. hitting "close" before "save") that I just throw myself on the floor to flail and exclaim! This is the point where my children go and make popcorn and watch the funny mom.


Instead of something profound, due to mental exhaustion, the only avenue open to my mind is to wimp out and come up with some sort of mind numbing story or a confession of something no one has ever known about me. Sadly, I am not that interesting.

Therefore, I will confess I have listened to country music my entire life and was"country when country wasn't cool". (Know that song? Ok....but, who sang it?)

I know!..... shock and amazement.....probably not.

It was entirely my parents fault. I am the oldest child in my family. I had no one to teach me what was "cool", so I followed my parents lead. I grew up loving Marty Robbins, Boxcar Willy, Barbara Mandrell, The Oakridge Boys, etc. When I arrived at junior high, in my polyester pants and burgundy velour top, I began to suspect my parents were a bit off on what was "cool". I quickly learned to nod my head and look all knowing when the kids around me talked about their favorite rock groups. I acquired a FM radio to conduct further research. The hardest part was trying to discern rock lyrics. They were very quick. I studied Duran Duran intently. I was amazed to learn some men actually wore eyeliner!? Hmm! By the time I arrived in high school I was confident in my deception. As far as anyone knew I was a normal 80's girl .....and no one suspected there were cowboy boots hidden in the back of my closet.

Man, that was tough! I promise to be more careful with the "close" and "save" keys on this contraption.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Giddy up, oom poppa-omm poppa, mow-mow

Giddy up, oom poppa-omm poppa, mow-mow

Heigh-ho Silver, away!!!

Bring back some memories? Ever listen to Ray Stevens? I LOVE all the old country stuff.

Fun post Angie!!! I'm still LOOOOVING that CD you gave me.

EarlGirl said...

I remember my parents getting me a Kenny Rogers record for my birthday in 6th grade. By then I KNEW that wasn't cool. Great post!

Cammy Patton said...

I think you did to me what Mom and Dad did to you. I was the kid loving the 80s growing up in the 90s - but I put on a fake front just like you.