Thursday, March 6, 2008

Perspective


Top- lft: me with #2, middle: #2, #3 on my lap, rt: #3

2nd row- lft. #4 with the rest of us, middle: #4, rt. before # 2 went on her mission

3rd row- # 2 & #4 in Mexico, middle: all of us, again, rt: #2& 4 thrilling at the prospect of running with me in December.

_________________________________________________________


I am the eldest sister in a four girl family. To appreciate my position I must state I am also the eldest grandchild on both sides of my family. - I know you are thinking, "her poor husband!", but, that is another story.

The situation I was born into was ideal. I am not saying the world was perfect because I was born, but.... it was a charmed existence. I was worshiped. Everything I did was the cutest thing ever! I had four grandparents and nine aunts and uncles at my dimpled call.

It was.....short lived.

When I was 3 1/2 my crystal pedestal came crashing down with the arrival of a sister. At first, I wasn't alarmed...She sort of looked like Don Knotts. But then disaster emerged with her chubby cuteness. Not only was she blond, but she twinkled. She was a nightmare. Things did not improve. After that sister came another, and then another. They were each delightful and charismatic. I was the only one who knew what they really were: naughty little elves sent to ruin my Barbies, music tapes, and eventually...my perfume and makeup.

As the years have passed, however, I discovered that these three little girls have become most cherished friends. They are clever, loving, and inspiring. They are also exceedingly silly and somewhat mischevious- they get that from our dad. I am so greatful I was not raised in my "ideal" world. What would I do without my sisters?


6 comments:

Kim said...

AMEN!!! I love my sisters so much!!! Thanks for sharing this sweet post.

Lee said...

My little sister rocks! And she definitley changed my life coming and stealing my spot as the youngest. Sisters are pretty cool.

EarlGirl said...

Didn't you TEASE me about a similar post? It was very touching.

Stacy said...

I only hope my girls will love their sisters as much as you all love each other. I really look forward to the future with them being silly together.
Love,
Stacy

Allison said...

Oooh, you nailed it! There is really nothing that compares to having and being a sister...it is a unique and blessed experience.

Cammy Patton said...

Oh, i love you. What a truly sweet post! And that fourth daughter is such a doll... but she still has a lot of work to do in comparison with the eldest.