Or- Garage sales are like a box of chocolates!
This time of year my thoughts drift, especially on Thursdays, to weekend adventures in other peoples yards and drives. I admit I am a garage sale nut. My house is furnished in modern eclectic. Actually, modern is not the right term. Let call it historic whatever. The point is- I have a fetish. Some women love to go to the mall. I love to get up Saturday at 6:30, adorn myself in sweats and a ponytail, and drive around town investigating other peoples junk.
My focus lately has been on finding a dresser for # 4 that will fit in his closet. Apparently there is shortage of dressers in my area, because I have found everything except that elusive piece of furniture. Today was no exception. These are what I found instead:
We have needed some new dining room chairs for a long time.We only had four and there are seven people in our family. When my eyes landed upon these chairs I knew they were absolutely perfect! They didn't match a single thing in my whole house. As I haggled with the owner he bantered about the history of the chairs, etc....He was wily, playing upon sentiment, but I was firmly rooted in a nonchalant attitude. I must have impressed him because I got my price.......and a trombone.
In my long term life plan I never considered owning a trombone. What do you do when a nice man throws one in with a set of chairs? Take it home, baby! My husbands family has an extensive history with trombones....and if that doesn't work out there is always Ebay.
Post script: The trombone was a huge hit and the kids actually beg to play it. I wonder if I can parlay it into a chore incentive.
Know where we can get some trombone lessons?
.jpg)
4 comments:
I love the chairs! They really are a great find! The trombone is classic. Alas, I do not know where one can get lessons-good luck!
Great find! In my eyes you are the #1 garage sale shopper. Thanks for the shoes you picked up for me last weekend - brand new for $1 - I love it!
You can start your own family band. #1 on the violin and than hand out the rest of the garage sale instrument finds to #2-#5.
I'll be waiting for my recital invitation in the mail.
That is an adorable picture of your son blowing the trombone!
WOW! How exactly did you bribe that guy? HMMMM? Thats something that he threw the trombone in on the house. I've seen you in action at garage sales, so I can see how it could happen.
Post a Comment