Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dream Come True

I will be the first to admit I am a little slow on the uptake. The obvious is not always apparent to my brain. Case in point- I have finally grasped and figured out how to apply a very important principle in parenting:

Make work look like fun and kids will be begging to help.
(or as I like to call it- The Tom Sawyer Approach.)

My mother-in-law has tried to explain this to me for years. She is an amazing woman (not Tom Sawyer-ish in the least) who successfully raised nine children. Her basic premise is- if you teach children to work when they are young they will grow up loving it.

I always thought it was a great concept. I have never particularly loved housework. Some women do, but alas, not I. I do love, however, a clean house. My method has been to get things clean as quickly as possible and then get on with the better things of life. I wasn't sure how to accomplish anything with a two year old "helping" me. This attitude did not work well with my older kids. I didn't teach them a thing.

.....and then. Ah-ha! On #4 I clued in- by accident, of course. He was (is) a very busy fellow and I had to keep a close eye on him. It was easier to keep track of him when I gave him little jobs that occupied his mind as I worked. Leaving him to his own entertainment was(is) a dangerous prospect!
i.e Jar of dirt stored in my fridge to maintain freshness.

Do to an offensive strategy # 4 has become my laundry dynamo. He loves to sort, load, unload, clean the lint trap, and deliver folded apparel to waiting dressers. The best part is his sister, #5, thinks she is missing out on something big if she is not allowed to help. I am now on the spot removal and folding committees. Which is fine by me....of all the chores to be done I like laundry the least.

It's a beautiful thing!





4 comments:

Lee said...

That is awesome girl! You should be totally proud. And I love your kids.. and your parenting ideas!

Cammy Patton said...

Genius, pure genius!

Jodi said...

What a great post! You are a great writer! I am still laughing about the dirt in the fridge!

V Family said...

It is a thing of beauty!
You've got it down so well that you might think of spreading the joy onto my offspring....and consequently beloved sisters.