Sunday, May 4, 2008

Girls Night

One of the greatest joys in life is being a mother. With references to Mothers Day everywhere my mind has been contemplating motherhood- or more precisely my calling as a mother. Sometimes, regularly, I wonder what Heavenly Father was thinking when he entrusted five spirits to my care.... strong evidence that he has a healthy sense of humor.

When I was younger I had visions of what motherhood would be. I saw myself apron-clad, makeup-ed, patient- happily picking up shoes, reading stories, and shopping for groceries with my adorable well behaved children. At this point in my idyllic fantasy the other store patrons raved about the charms of my offspring while I glowed with pride. After all, my children could recite Shakespeare, were fluent in three languages, and loved nothing more than discussing deep gospel doctrine over dinner. Apparently, I was seriously uninformed or maybe unobservant. I lived in a home with a wonderful mom. People rarely flung compliments at her feet about us, and outside of a large vocabulary in English, none of us learned foreign languages until high school or on missions. I will admit I don't enjoy MacBeth. Being a mother might not be as romantic as I pictured, but I am happy in my role. I have amazing kids who don't care if I wear make-up.

I have been reading Jane Clayson Johnson's I am a Mother . She references women who describe themselves as "just a mother". That description has irritated me for a long time. A few years ago I began changing my answer in those entertaining questionnaires at the doctors office, etc., in regard to my occupation. I now write, "Domestic Goddess". Try it next time you fill out a form at your child's school. I have had loads of comments. Calling myself a domestic goddess in no way describes my abilities or accomplishments. It is more of a goal. Besides, anyone who chooses to live a life devoid of sleep, strung out on Ramen Noodles, and filled with the wiping of little bums needs an impressive title....a crown wouldn't be too shabby, either.

I had an epiphany a few days ago on this subject. I want my daughters to grow up with a healthy attitude about motherhood. Therefore, I need to start celebrating and enthusiastically proclaiming the divine honor of being a mother. So, this past Saturday we had our first annual Mothers Day-Girls Night Out. It was only for the mom(me) and those who may someday be mothers themselves.(#1 & #5).
It was brilliant! We had the best gooey chocolate desert- a must have for any serious female bonding ritual. It's was a good beginning. If I teach them well, down the road my girls will not say, "I am just a mother". They will state, "I am a Domestic Goddess sent to this place in time to raise the next generation in righteousness".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean, and now that I am a mom I am appreciating even more my own mom.

She has always been a wonderful example to me, and when I was little my dream was to become a mom, and be just like my mom.

I realize it's not easy to do, I still don't know where she found the energy and time to iron, wax the floors and cook wonderful dinners.

And she was 43 when I was born.

She is almost 80 now and she still has more energy than I when it comes to take care of Gabriel :)

Lee said...

That is great! I love that you are teaching your girls to embrace Motherhood. It is so important.

Anonymous said...

Perfection! Love the idea-now if I can just wrangle some little girls out of the eternal plan, somehow, I think I would love to copy your idea of celebrating motherhood. :)Motherhood truly is a gift-one I am thankful-most of the time, to enjoy daily! :) You are a gem! Love ya-N

Dweezleboss said...

I just call myself "The Queen".

Mostly I just get laughed at. It's different when you're surrounded by teens. "Hey, Queen, when's dinner?"

Needs some work....

Stacy said...

Thank you for your uplifting post. It really made me feel good and get goose bumps. I think we forget how much of an influence on the world we actually have. Although many of the things we do are routine and not as exciting as we once imagined, I hope in the end, all this "fun" will pay off. Great idea on the mom/daughter date for Mother's Day. It sounds fun.

Cammy Patton said...

Beautiful message! You are a wonderful mother and a terrific example to your 3 younger sisters. I love you.

EarlGirl said...

Great post, way to revel in your motherhood. The outing is a fantastic way to introduce what it means to be a mother, and a woman: chocolate, and the love thereof.

Jana said...

I too have been known to write ridiculous descriptions of myself on forms - both at the kids school and at doctor's offices and such. Because, really, why do they really need to know except to get me to do stuff they need me to do in whatever profession I claim?!!!?

Try:
Mother of the Year
Eater of all, even children
Queen of Everthing
Mother who never gets dressed
Queen of Clean - except when the kids are home

Yeah, its fun.

I may need to instill the Motherhood outing in my house. Although it could get pricey because I know that shopping would be involved and I just did that when it was the YW broadcast in March. Me. Poorhouse.