Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Monkey Mania

It seems that I collect monkeys. I refer to my delightful offspring as my little monkeys...not always turkeys, on occasion. ...case and point, all around best example.


A few years ago, I began a sentimental quest for these little wooden monkeys:

Two of these little guys hung on the dining room curtain rod in my grandparents home. As a child, there was nothing I loved more than playing with those monkeys. I dangled them all over the place. When my grandpa passed away my dad brought the monkeys to live at our house. We loved those monkeys...so did my sister's dog. We came home one afternoon to discover he had been conducting a monkey autopsy. There were little gnawed animal parts all over the dining room. It was deeply disturbing. My creative and mechanically talented sister managed to recreate one of the monkeys, but I could not bring myself to look at it's newly canine texturized body. The day I found monkeys on Ebay, I about giggled myself silly with delight. I now have them dangling in my scrapbook room. I just burst with joy at the sight of them.



This whole explanation leads up to this:

My latest primate acquisition.
I have a dear aunt who spoils me. She was traveling about the country and found this sock monkey backpack in a funny little shop in Northern Idaho... and thought of me. I am not sure if it is desirable to have someone see a monkey and immediately think of me, but... as it is, I am really glad she did. Isn't it a kick? I love it.
I am considering wearing it to church with treats in it.

5 comments:

Cammy Patton said...

Can you wear it to church this Sunday? For I would love to be a witness. All of a sudden I am nervous... because I am not sure where my monkey is... I am going to search the house ASAP. (Don't worry, I am not referring to my children, but actually the little wooden monkeys).

Anonymous said...

May I suggest animal crackers? :) It is too cute and I think your red blouse would match it perfectly! Love ya-N

Dweezleboss said...

Wait until they get bigger. Mine turned into an orangutan! One day, driving up to Sourthridge HS, Julie saw some guy dangling from a really tall grape trellis thing near the entrance. She expressed compassion for this guy's necessarily embarrased siblings, if he had any. When we got closer, yup, you guessed it, SHE was the compassion deserving sibling.

EarlGirl said...

Yeah, you gotta wear it! I'll sit behind you and plunder your snacks. Sound good?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful memory of your grandparents' house.

I like the wooden monkeys.

I used to have a doll that was reversible, I believe one side was monkey and the other was a turtle, they are very common in Europe, each with different character.